Educational Assessments can help you understand more about your child’s educational development. So you may find yourself contacting an Educational Psychologist to have an assessment done. But there is more than one type of assessment, so how do you know which one is best?

We look at the three main types of educational assessments that are often performed by qualified educational psychologists.

Educational Assessments for Career Choice

Career choice assessments are aimed at anyone who wants to make a decision about their career. Educational Psychologists often work with adolescents nearing the end of their school career. But very often we also work with older individuals who have already set out on a career path and are considering a change.

A career choice assessment usually consists of the following:

  • Aptitude Test
  • Personality Test
  • Values Assessment

The results of all these tests are then integrated and recommendations made with regards to career choice.

School Readiness Assessments

School-readiness assessments are usually recommended for children in the last term of their Grade R year.

Parents are often confused by the term school-ready. They might be told that their child is not school-ready , while the Schools Act stipulates that all children must start school (Grade 1) in the year that they turn 7. Put very simply, a child is considered school ready when it is thought that they will be able to cope with the formal demands of schooling.  

Here are some of the things that are tested for in these assessments:

  • Intellectual assessment (IQ test)
  • Visual and auditory perceptual skills
  • Concept development
  • Fine motor skills
  • Gross motor skills
  • Emotional screening

Educational Assessments for Learning Difficulties

The earlier learning difficulties are identified the sooner an effective intervention program can be started, And so better the chance of improving long term outcomes.

In fact, research shows that when the right learning strategies and support are put in place early enough, children quickly achieve positive results and maintain these over the long term.

When a learning difficulty assessment is completed and it is determined that a child has a learning difficulty, an application for a concession can be made.

Concession assessments are generally required by schools, education departments and the IEB when applying for learners to be granted the following concessions during examinations:

  • Extra time
  • A prompter
  • A scribe (someone to write down their answers)
  • A reader (someone to read the exam paper for them)
  • Amanuensis (A person who reads and scribes for the learner)
  • Spelling concessions
  • Handwriting concessions (for learners who suffer from Dysgraphia)
  • Braille
  • Enlarged print
  • Use of a computer

In order to qualify for a concession, learners need to have been assessed and to show at least average intellectual ability and a significant long-term learning disability which will cause them to under perform in tests.

For more information about the different types of educational assessments or to book a consultation, contact Anel Annandale at 021 423 0739 or via email at  Also look out for our Facebook page where we often share tips and advice.